Since 2013, the global internet population has grown nearly 20 percent, from 2.4 billion to 3.2 billion people. Big data, software, and connectedness have propelled us into hyper-speed.
Every minute of the day Facebook users like 4,166,667 posts, Apple users download 51,000 apps, Netflix subscribers stream 77,160 hours of video, Uber passengers take 694 rides, Snapchat users share 284,722 snaps, and Skype users make 110,040 calls.
NY Times columnist and Pulitzer Prize winning author, Thomas Friedman, wrote about how the world has become a level playing field in his international bestselling book, The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century.
The book described the perpetual shift required for countries, companies, and individuals to remain competitive in a global market where historical and geographical divisions are becoming increasingly irrelevant. And yet, unbelievably, Friedman wrote the book before Facebook, Twitter, and Uber ever existed.
Entrepreneurs and employees are faced with a new literacy in today's high-flux market, and that new literacy is the ability to learn, unlearn, and relearn...fast! May these quotes inspire you to get faster.
- Every industry is primed for disruption. -Gary Vaynerchuk, CEO VaynerMedia
- Move fast and break things. Unless you are breaking stuff, you are not moving fast enough. -Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO Facebook
- Embrace what you don't know, because what you don't know can become your greatest asset. -Sara Blakely, founder SPANX
- Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough. -Elon Musk, CEO Tesla and SpaceX
- We cannot change what we are not aware of, and once we are aware, we cannot help but change. -Sheryl Sandberg, author and COO Facebook
- Change before you have to. -Jack Welch, CEO General Electric
- Go invent tomorrow rather than worrying about what happened yesterday. -Steve Jobs, co-founder, CEO, Chairman Apple Inc.
- Anyone who isn't embarrassed by who they were last year probably isn't learning enough. -Alain de Botton, author and television presenter
- There's lots of bad reasons to start a company. But there's only one good, legitimate reason...to change the world. -Phil Libin, CEO Evernote
- The fastest way to change yourself is to hang out with people who are already the way you want to be. -Reid Hoffman, co-founder LinkedIn
- The ability to learn is the most important quality a leader can have. -Sheryl Sandberg, author and COO Facebook
- I see life almost like one long University education that I never had-everyday I'm learning something new. -Richard Branson, founder Virgin Group
- It's very important to have a feedback loop, where you're constantly thinking about what you've done and how you could be doing it better. -Elon Musk, CEO Tesla and SpaceX
- The only way you survive is you continuously transform into something else. -Ginni Rometty, CEO IBM
- People think innovation is just having a good idea but a lot of it is just moving quickly and trying a lot of things. -Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO Facebook
- The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. -Alvin Toffler, writer and futurist
- If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living. -Gail Sheehy, American author and journalist
- When you're finished changing, you're finished. -Benjamin Franklin
Question: What is your favorite innovation quote?